Updated: Apr 6
This is a great recipe to use up tomatoes when they are in abundance. Packed full of flavour, this sauce is delicious stirred through pasta or vegetables or as a base in lasagne or spaghetti Bolognese. It will keep in the fridge for one week or can be frozen for up to three months.
1 kg (2.2lb) medium-size tomatoes
1 onion, unpeeled
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1 handful fresh basil, chopped (optional)
• Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
• Cut the tomatoes and onion in half crossways and place in a single layer on a roasting dish, cut side up.
• Insert the garlic into the tomato flesh, then sprinkle the tomatoes and onions with the sugar and salt.
• Drizzle the tomatoes and onion with the oil.
• Bake for 45 minutes or until the tomatoes start to caramelise.
• Allow to cool, then squeeze the tomato flesh onto a board, discarding as much of the skin as possible. Do the same with the onion, then roughly chop and place in a bowl if using a stick blender or into a blender bowl.
• Scrape the oil and residue left in the bottom of the pan (as this is full of flavour), and add to the tomato and onion.
• Mix in the basil if using.
• Blend until desired consistency is reached.
Makes: 2 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes , plus cooling time (approx. 15 minutes)
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Feel free to follow my Facebook page for more recipe idea videos and book discounts. https://www.facebook.com/theworldseasiestrecipes/