Updated: Apr 6
The meaning of this Italian dessert is ‘pick me up’, which is why it contains coffee and is traditionally served in the afternoon. There are many complicated versions to this recipe, but here is a very simple one.
2 cups (500ml) cream
¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
350g (12oz) mascarpone (at room temperature)
1½ cups strong coffee, instant is fine (at room temperature)
1 packet ladyfinger biscuits
2 tbsp rum or brandy (optional)
cocoa powder for dusting
• In a medium-size bowl, beat the cream, sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
• Add the mascarpone and mix until just combined.
• Pour the coffee and alcohol (if using) into a shallow dish.
• Dip and flip each ladyfinger biscuit in the coffee for 1–2 seconds and arrange in a single layer in a 20x20 cm (8x8 inch) baking dish.
• Spread half the cream mixture over the lady fingers and smooth with a knife or spatula.
• Repeat the process with the rest of the ladyfingers and another layer of cream mixture.
• Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Dust with cocoa powder just before serving.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus chilling time (3 hours or overnight)
Cooking Time: 0
Feel free to follow my Facebook page for more recipe idea videos and book discounts. https://www.facebook.com/theworldseasiestrecipes/