If you’re after an easy one-pot, rich and delicious fruit cake then this is the recipe for you. It can be made well ahead of time or the day before you need it.
1 kg mixed fruit
250g butter, cut into 1cm (½ inch) cubes
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup rum, sherry, brandy, or orange juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
2 tsp mixed spice
• Place the fruit, butter, brown sugar, alcohol or orange juice and vanilla into a large pot. • Bring to the boil then gently simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the fruit is plump and the mixture is syrupy.
• Allow to cool for one hour.
• Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F) and grease and line a 23cm (9inch) square or round cake tin.
• Add the eggs and mix until well combined.
• Sift in the flour and mixed spice and mix until well combined.
• Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
• Cool in the tin.
• To store the cake - wrap in baking paper and then in tin foil and put it in an airtight container.
• It will keep for up to 4 weeks.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus cooling time (1 hour)
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Feel free to follow my Facebook page for more recipe idea videos and book discounts. https://www.facebook.com/theworldseasiestrecipes/